Day 6 RPI Vocabulary
To reach the goal of 20,000 word vocabulary of a literate person, we need to acquire 700 words a year ! So… I need to focus even more strongly on vocab teaching. It is also the strongest predictor of reading comprehension.
We went through lots of ways to explicitly teach vocab. I need to choose more tier two words per text than I normally do - 5-8 per text. I also want to do more empowering of students to make and design their own but remembering that although apps can support word exposure they do not substitute for rich text encounters. Text in the centre always.
I am already working hard to build a love of words, to increase word consciousness and word knowledge over the last month or so in my class, and will continue this. I have been surprised at how much the learners enjoy picking apart words during spelling time.
There have been lots of great examples of how to bring in multiple exposures with interactive puzzles and wordplay like morpheme matrices, which I will incorporate. Perhaps having a rebus on screen for when learners are settling in their seats. I love the idea of inventing fake words to crack using morphology in some fun multimodal activities. I currently have a word wall and a sentence structure wall, which learners love, but could also have a morphology wall they can manipulate.
I also like the spotlight on words for before and after reading, to focus their attention on important tier two words when reading then getting a sense of success when they know it at the end.
I am going to have a look at lots of the provided links and resources in the holidays eg the morphology project. We currently have a morphology scope and sequence but it doesn't seem very good.
I also want to try reciprocal reading so will read up on the efficacy of that too.
Links and actions
toolkit.manaikalani.org / ask a facilitator to help with tools? Secure gemini as only a learning tool?
Choose 5-8 tier two words from each text
Morphology wall to manipulate like our sentence structure one
RPI spotlight on words - before and after reading
Session 7: Morphology (Chapter 12) Orton Gillingham Teachers Manual 2019
Session 7: The Morphology Project
Session 7: Spelling Progressions (United Kingdom)
Session 7: Matrix Maker (prefix, root/base, suffix
Kia ora Nicola,
ReplyDeletethanks for a great, thoughtful reflection of Day 6! I also love that you'e linked the documents you want to double back to direction on your blog so that you can come back to these anytime you need a reminder! What great self support.
How wonderful to read that you already have a word wall and a sentence structure wall! Isn't it wonderful affirmation to be able to take note of what is already a strength in your space?
Keep up the great reflection and all the best implementing your next steps,
Ngā mihi,
Amie
RPI Facilitator
The Manaiakalani Network